Traumatic Brain Injuries, Concussion, Post-stroke
Both traumatic brain injuries and concussions involve a disruption of normal brain function due to a bump, blow, jolt or penetrating injury to the head. Sports, such as fastball, soccer, boxing, martial arts, hockey, etc. promote these occurrences. You don’t even have to hit your head to have a concussion. If the brain gets “sloshed” around, that can be enough.
Some symptoms that are common:
- Fatigue in body/fatigue in thoughts
- Light sensitivity/sound sensitivity
- Cognitive impairment/memory impairment
- Inability to sleep or desire to sleep constantly
Our goal for our patients:
- Isolate the regions of the brain involved
- Make sure the neurons can be stabilized (good oxygen and glucose regulation)
- Figure out strategies to drive the underactive/under firing pathways, without driving the nervous system too hard or not hard enough, to restore as much function as possible, to create neural plasticity.
How to become a patient and evaluate your condition?
Fill out all your paperwork. Be as thorough as possible. This includes:
- Welcome Form
- Metabolic Assessment
- NTAF Form
- Brain Region Localization Form
- Brain Function Assessment Form
Also, if you have any lab work that is within 12 months old, please get that to our clinic. If you have had any imaging performed or other studies, please get us the report.
After we have all of this, schedule a neurological exam with Dr. McKenzie. This will take about 1 hour, and the cost is $168.
Then you will schedule the second exam, which will be performed by Houda (chiropractic assistant). This will include neurocognitive domain testing with an interactive screen as well as a QEEG (quantitative electro-encephalogram). This cost is $400.
We may need to order additional labs. If you have great insurance, we can use your insurance to do your labs. If you have a high deductible or no insurance, we can use our lab contract to get your labs inexpensively.
After we called all the data, we will call you and schedule a 30-minute report of findings. This is included in the $400 cost. At this time, you can decide if you want to do at home exercise for the brain and/or neurofeedback treatment at our clinic.